JavaFX port to iOS/Android status

Daniel Zwolenski zonski at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 20:05:19 PDT 2013

Can you elaborate on what code is being released and what is not? I guess I was more or less expecting a ready to use sdk of sorts but I take it that was optimistic?

What is involved in 'porting' the 'VM' (as I understood it, you have JFX now as part of the VM so a little surprised we're making a distinction again)?

How do you know whatever it is you are releasing is iOS/android friendly if you haven't got it actually running on a platform (and if you have, why not just release that full code)?

Is the iOS/Android support only going to be relevant to the OpenJDK and not really the Oracle JDK? How does it all fit together.

Maybe the best way to answer that would be to answer: How do you envisage a developer building an iOS/Android app? From the sounds of it we will have to download a community built iOS version of openjdk (once someone makes this and makes it available for download) and then hand assemble a deployment bundle from this and our app code, and then manually upload to the app store?

I take it that tools for building deployment bundles won't be part of the jdk packaging tools and the community will also have to come up with the stuff needed to get it all app store friendly?

And then what about phone specific things like accessing signals from the OS like when an app is suspended, or sending an alert from the background, etc, and things like accessing the camera or the contacts list on the phone? Where does this all come into it and is this Oracle's or the community's job?

I'm probably not the person for the 'porting' work but I am interested in making the maven plugin support iOS/Android assemblies. I'm pretty vague on exactly what that would involve at this stage.