Event when CSS is applied

Tomas Mikula tomas.mikula at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 07:34:53 UTC 2015

OK, so the major problem I see is that a lot of layout is done outside
layoutChildren, using code like this:

needlePane = new Pane();
needlePane.widthProperty().addListener( (observable) -> {
    drawNeedlePane();
});

What I think should be done is, instead of trying to hack around Pane,
create class NeedlePane that extends Region and overrides
layoutChildren. It would create its children in the constructor (or
take them as constructor parameters), add them to its children list
right in the constructor and never clear them, and position them on
the layout pass (i.e. in layoutChildren).

The problem you have (or one of the problems) is that in the layout
pass, when lStackPane sets the size of needlePane, drawNeedlePane() is
triggered which clears needlePane's children (this is shortly after
the CSS was applied to them, just before the layout pass that is
currently in progress), then adds them quickly back, but without CSS
applied.

Another problem is that in Skin's layoutChilren, you are trying to
layout grand-grand-children. You should only be laying out direct
children. The code reads

protected void layoutChildren(double arg0, double arg1, double arg2,
double arg3) {
    super.layoutChildren(arg0, arg1, arg2, arg3);
    setValueText();
    scaleValueText();
    positionValueText();
}

This is what it does:

super.layoutChildren() resizes and positions lStackPane. It does not
call layout() on it yet.

The rest of the methods are positioning grand-children of that lStackPane.

When the layoutChildren call returns, layout() will be called on all
children, i.e. on lStackPane. Within lStackPane.layout(),
lStackPane.layoutChildren() is called, which sets the width and height
of needlePane, which triggers drawNeedlePane() (if size changed),
which clears the children and adds them back. When
lStackPane.layoutChildren() returns, needlePane.layout() is called,
within which needlePane.layoutChildren() is called. This is where you
should do the layout for valueText.

Hope this helps.
Tomas