Gtk4 and Wayland

Johan Vos johan.vos at gluonhq.com
Wed Sep 1 11:15:54 UTC 2021

Hi Thiago,

I was thinking (and experimenting) in the same direction, and so far that
is working good. I don't see disadvantages, but it would be good to find
out about it before we move forward.
Maybe the main issue to me is that GTK comes with lots of dependencies. We
already have that situation today, so it is not going to be worse. But if
we would use the Wayland protocol on a lower level (with a Wayland-specific
glass platform, instead of GTK), we could probably reduce the dependencies.
However, this comes at the price of creating *and maintaining* more
low-level code.

I've been running GTK3 on Wayland and that works fine too. However, it
might be better to focus Wayland support for GTK4. I think there won't be
many installs that have no X11, but only Wayland, and that have GTK3 and no
GTK4.

- Johan
- Johan