Enhancements for JavaFX 18

John Neffenger john at status6.com
Tue Sep 7 22:49:56 UTC 2021

On 8/19/21 1:27 PM, Kevin Rushforth wrote:
> Those enhancements that have reached general consensus, are far enough
> along in the process that we have a good idea how much they will "cost",
> and have a willing contributor and sponsor (for contributors who are not
> Committers), are more likely to make JavaFX 18.

I'd like to make a pitch for integrating the reproducible build support:

8264449: Enable reproducible builds with SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH
https://github.com/openjdk/jfx/pull/446

It's not as glamorous as the user interface changes that have been
suggested. I think the change is inevitable, though, so it would be
great to have it integrated while I can still remember what I did. I've
tested it in two separate rounds of tests on all three platforms, and it
has been approved by two reviewers.

The JDK is also doing this work, driven mostly by Magnus Ihse Bursie at
Oracle in the OpenJDK Build Infrastructure Group. He calls it "a
low-effort, background-style project to make the build of OpenJDK itself
building reproducible."

For the original motivation, see the following closed pull request that
is now included in the one linked above:

8238650: Allow to override buildDate with SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH
https://github.com/openjdk/jfx/pull/422

Thanks,
John