[foreign] Running tests on Windows

Magnus Ihse Bursie magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com
Thu Sep 20 18:47:52 UTC 2018

On 2018-09-20 17:04, Henry Jen wrote:

>> On Sep 20, 2018, at 1:44 AM, Maurizio Cimadamore <maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>> FTR, as I'm looking at other configure files, I've seen
>>
>>   "xwindows" used not “xmicrosoft"
>>
> windows is platform, microsoft is toolchain last time I check.
In general, we try to decide if we're doing a certain thing because
we're running on Windows as OS, or using the Microsoft toolchain to
compile. At times, it's hard to tell the difference, not at least since
we only support a single toolchain on Windows. :-) Also, some old code
written before the toolchain concept was available for testing might
test for Windows when the Microsoft toolchain was what really should
have been tested. (Such code should really be updated.)

In general, when dealing with compilation flags etc, it's more likely
that you should test for "microsoft" as toolchain than "windows" as os.
(I'm just talking generally here; I have not yet had time to study the
code in question.)

/Magnus