[foreign] RFR 8211060: Library.getDefault() does not work on Windows

Jorn Vernee jbvernee at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 24 11:32:02 UTC 2018

I also think the approach of removing the default library is more
robust, since a symbol can be loaded from several libraries at once, but
when using the default library you don't know which one you're gonna
get. I can imagine a big project using several decencies which try to
load the same symbol from different libraries through the default
library and things breaking when the wrong function address is loaded.

On the other hand, library names for the standard library are platform
specific. e.g. the standard C library dll is named msvcrt on windows, so
writing platform agnostic code that just depends on the portable
standard library, like the tests we have, would be more difficult.

Maybe that problem could be solved by shipping pre-computed library
interfaces for the standard library with the JDK, where the value of
NativeHeader#libraries would be platform specific. That would also
decrease the time-to-helloworld for foreign, and I think that at least
the standard C library is small enough that that won't be problematic.

Jorn