[foreign] Improve error reporting when Java signature and native function layout don't match.

Jorn Vernee jbvernee at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 25 18:33:15 UTC 2018

Hi Maurizio,
Thanks for looking at the patch.

I have made the check simpler as you suggested [1]. Doing carrier <->
layout checks in LayoutType makes sense to me.

If you appreciate this kind of contribution I had 2 more things I ran
into;

1.) When a native function returns `null`, it seems that this value is
always boxed using `References#ofVoid`, and when you de-reference it you
get an UOE without a message. I'm not sure if boxing as Void is
intentional, but either way it would be nice if it gave a reason like
'can not de-reference null pointer'.

2.) The way NativeHeader#declarations is parsed makes it so that a
faulty layout string like `exit(i32)v` (should be `exit=(i32)v`) is
silently ignored, and you get an AbstractMethodError when invoking the
method. Part of the problem I think, is that the parser splits the
declarations string by `=`, and then goes from there. I'm thinking a
more robust approach would be to make NativeHeader#declarations a
String[] instead of a String, and then try to parse exactly 1
declaration for each element. What do you think?

I could try and make patches for those later this week.

Jorn

[1] :
https://gist.github.com/JornVernee/2fb68d70bad1aa807b50b77840117b27