[foreign] RFR 8218153: Read/Write of Value layout should honor declared endianness

Maurizio Cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Fri Feb 1 01:51:43 UTC 2019

On 01/02/2019 01:45, Henry Jen wrote:
> We cannot just drop INT16, name it as PE_INT16 is fine. That’s the them of the discussion, we need something programmatically portable on JVM.

I would question the use of the term "need" here - longer term? Sure -
but I can defo see the API not having platform-dependent layout types in
the short term.

In  other words, there are two parts to this problem; one is to take
endianness into account when accessing memory, which you have done. The
second is to provide a reasonable kit of starter layout types for people
to use. These two problems don't have (and shouldn't) to be tackled at
the same time.

John suggested to go for all explicit mode - I'd say let's stick with
that plan, and see what use cases will crop up in common code, and find
ways (John's static import idea is a fine one - there could be others)
to address them accordingly.

Maurizio