[vector] AVX2 ByteVector.shiftR performance and semantics

John Rose john.r.rose at oracle.com
Sun Feb 3 20:06:41 UTC 2019

On Feb 1, 2019, at 3:55 PM, Vladimir Ivanov <vladimir.x.ivanov at oracle.com> wrote:

> Yes, I find the names misleading as well and fully agree it's worth to consider alternatives.
>
> (Every time I use those methods I have to refresh my memory about different terminology - ">>"/">>>", shiftR/aShiftR, signed/unsigned).

Quick thoughts:

I agree on systematic name prefixing; that's how stuff gets discovered in IDEs.

If we are ever tempted to overload a term like "shift" to refer *both* to intra-lane
ops *and* cross-lane ops, we should check ourselves and back away slowly.

When we get lambda cracking we can use unambiguous and natural operators
like ">>>" for intra-lane ops.  Oh happy day…