Feedback / query on jextract for Windows 10

Remi Forax forax at univ-mlv.fr
Mon Feb 1 08:31:13 UTC 2021

----- Mail original -----

[added Claes in CC, because i think it may interest him]

jextract generated classes is one use case, booting the JDK is another one,
the last time i take a look there was something like a little more than 200 static final fields that are initialized by a putfield with no corresponding getfield called when the JDK is initialized,
having those static final fields being lazy initialized can make a huge difference in term of startup speed (for the exact same reason the classes generated by jextract is actually faster that using the generated java files).

For the JDK, maybe as a first step, we can at least rewrite the static final fields that are declared private using a jlink plugin that remove an invokestatic + putfield inside the static init if the field is marked with a special @Lazy annotation and rewrite the corresponding getfield to an accessor method that will do a ldc + constantdynamic with the method called by invokestatic as bootstrap method.

Another intermediary solution is to implement the lazy keyword in the compiler (javac) but only enable it under a flag. So that flag can be used when compiling java.base and jextract generated classes.

For me the non-static lazy is a non problem, Java already considers separately final field and static final field, so lazy can be only allowed on static final fields, but neither on static fields nor on non-static fields.

> — John

Rémi