jextract on large Windows header files

Maurizio Cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Mon Feb 1 15:56:20 UTC 2021

> > It is possible for a client to insert an extra step in the middle
> > between parsing and generation, so as to allow for custom filtering
> > strategies.
>
> I would do this if jextract only had --filter by path when it left
> incubator stage, though I'm wary of going this route for now as I'd
> end
> up replicating nearly all of the run() method including the standard
> command line parsing.

I see what you mean. Yeah - some duplication would be unavoidable in
this case - and while it might be acceptable in case a client wants
deep customization of the generated bindings, it might be perceived as
overkill in case of "simple" filtering.

> Jextract could also be made to emit an example of the
> filter
> file showing the initial view of included symbols.

This is also an idea that we have considered - e.g. in addition of
having a configuration file, have some sort of dry-run mode which will
just emit a configuation file, no sources/classes

Maurizio