[foreign-jextract] RFR: 8261642: improve jextract source generation mode and remove class generation

Maurizio Cimadamore mcimadamore at openjdk.java.net
Mon Feb 15 13:03:53 UTC 2021

On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 22:28:46 GMT, Maurizio Cimadamore <mcimadamore at openjdk.org> wrote:

> This patch replaces the existing code generators used by jextract by a single, unified, source generation strategy.
>
> As discussed in [1], there are some trade-offs between source generation and classfile generation; for instance, when using classfile translation, we can take advantage of certain features of the JVM bytecode, such as dynamic constants, which makes it easy to generate big files full of constants which are only initialized on a *by-need* basis.
>
> Classfile generation is not without issue though; first, it is almost always easier to deal with sourcefiles rather than classes - both in terms of building environment and also in terms of sharing (e.g. uploading generated bindings on a GitHub project). This is for instance why we have always used source-based bindings for libclang to power jextract. We feel that users will probably be subject to similar limitations.
>
> Secondly, IDEs can sometimes be picky about what's in the classfile - and I have seen cases of IntelliJ failing to decompile classes containing dynamic constants.
>
> Last, but not least, classfiles cannot contain information which would be helpful for the user, such as javadoc. Adding javadoc comments, containing at the very least the original signatures of the C functions/structs would be very helpful when developing applications which use jextract generated code.
>
> For these reasons, I have decided to explore a source-based strategy for jextract. Note that this does not alter the set of options available in the command line, or the default behavior of jextract: that is, jextract will still emit classfiles if you do not specify --sources; but instead of having _two_ different backends (as we do now), this patch replaces both backends with a single source-based backend. We can discuss, as followup changes, as to whether we should just make source generation the default and drop classfile generation, but that's for another day.
>
> The basic idea behind the approach is to stash constants in a separate class; that is, when we need a native method handle, we can generate a class which contains all the constants relative to that native method handle. This allows us to only load the constants that are used for a given native invocation.
>
> One obvious problem of this approach is the sheer number of classes that it generates (although only a subset of them are truly loaded and initialized). To counteract that, this patch adopts several strategies:

> [...]

I did some experiments with removing parameter info and debugging information - honestly the gain were much less than what I was hoping for (around 100K max). I ended up disabling parameter info (which has been added to support the now gone annotation) and remove `g:lines` which is the default for javac anyway (e.g. line number tables will *still be emitted*) as I did not find a significant bloat coming out of that.