New CPU & OS Platform System Properties

Bob Vandette bob.vandette at oracle.com
Wed Jan 9 14:47:15 PST 2013

On Jan 9, 2013, at 8:58 AM, Thomas Stüfe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it would be nice to be able to distinguish between
> a) "the architecture the VM is built for" (which is os.arch, I think) vs
> b) "the architecture it is running on".
>
> Usually its the same, but not always, as some OSes are able to start
> different binary types.
>
> - running an x86 (32bit) VM on x64.
> - running an x86 VM on ia64 (which at least on Windows works)
> - more exotic example, running an parisc VM on HP-UX itanium
>
> You need (a) to make decisions about which native libraries to load at
> some point. You also may need (b), though I am hard pressed to find an
> example.

You are correct that there are a couple of dimensions to this problem but I
am only trying to address (a) at the moment.  I also haven't been able to come
up with a use case for (b) other than for crash dumping.  In the crash dump case,
we do gather and report significantly more CPU and OS details.

Bob.