RFR(M): 8024342: PPC64 (part 111): Support for C calling conventions that require 64-bit ints.

Lindenmaier, Goetz goetz.lindenmaier at sap.com
Thu Sep 12 04:42:50 PDT 2013

Hi Vladimir,

> Can you move convert_ints_to_longints*() methods from sharedRuntime.cpp
> to sharedRuntime_ppc.cpp? They are static and not used in any other places.
I really would like to keep this code in the shared file because:
 - The code is completely plarform independent.
 - The feature needs several shared changes, so I think it's natural to keep all
   it's platform independent parts in the shared files.
 - Internally, we use it also for zArch, so for us it would reduce code duplication
    to have it in the shared file.

> Why only intrinsify_fill changed? What about arraycopy and other stubs
> which use int parameter?
Yes, that looks strange.  For stub calls that should not be needed, as
we also implement the callee.  I'll investigate this in our VM, and try
to remove the change to runtime.cpp and loopTransform.cpp.
I'll come up with a new webrev then.  Thanks for pointing me to this!

> loopTransform.cpp: I don't think ConvI2L will work for t==T_FLOAT. Also
> you can use (t == T_INT || is_subword_type(t)) check instead for int types.
Above, a MoveF2I is issued, therefore ConvI2L works.  Probably conversion
is pointless, but the type is correct then.

Thanks for the review and for adapting the closed stuff to 0112.

Best regards,
  Goetz.