Packaging Proposal for OpenJDK

dalibor topic dalibor.topic at oracle.com
Mon Jan 30 12:06:47 UTC 2017

On 28.01.2017 14:36, Marco Vermeulen wrote:
> I would like to propose an initiative to start providing official
> OpenJDK binary packages for the most used platforms across a version
> range (say 5.0 thru 9ea).

Hi Marco,

OpenJDK 6 is the earliest such OpenJDK Project.

We don't provide binaries, though, except in the case of a reference
implementation of a Java SE platform JSR. You can find them at
https://jdk7.java.net/java-se-7-ri/ and
https://jdk8.java.net/java-se-8-ri/ - but they are  provided primarily
for use by implementors of the Java SE 7/8 Platform Specification and
are recommended for reference purposes only, i.e. they receive no
further updates.

> I would suggest pre-packaged binaries for
> Linux, MacOSX, Cygwin/Windows and FreeBSD. Currently, most developers
> use Oracle JDKs because OpenJDK simply isn't available for their
> platform. This is very sad, as we are missing a great opportunity in
> helping the adoption of the OpenJDK!

Third party provided binaries are typically available on all of the
above platforms, often from more than one party. Have you looked at
collaborating with such third parties directly?

cheers,
dalibor topic

--
<http://www.oracle.com> Dalibor Topic | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +494089091214 <tel:+494089091214> | Mobile: +491737185961

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Kühnehöfe 5 | 22761 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

<http://www.oracle.com/commitment> Oracle is committed to developing
practices and products that help protect the environment