[security-dev 01708]: Re: Please review new regression test for java.net.* API

Andrew John Hughes ahughes at redhat.com
Thu Mar 18 11:45:45 PDT 2010

On 18 March 2010 18:40, Brad Wetmore <Bradford.Wetmore at sun.com> wrote:

> I have a couple important tasks to finish ASAP, so if there is more
> discussion, I'll have to jump in sometime next week, but wanted to add
> one thing before anything was done:
>
> Pavel wrote:
>> And we can use other URL if verisign.com is problematic.
>
> We've tried to limit the reliance on servers outside our control for the
> open tests and to be as self-contained as possible, tho I'm sure there
> are still some tests that do this anyway.  IMHO, it's not exactly
> neighborly of OpenJDK to include tests that just bang on someone's
> server(s) for "testing", even if the volume isn't terribly high.  I
> think we should check with the server's admin before we included such a
> test in the general repository.
>
> In the past we've also had transient network errors (servers or network
> down), so that was another reason to limit our external dependencies.
> But they still had to be investigated and took time.

https://jaxp.dev.java.net/files/documents/913/147490 seems an
appropriate URL to hit.  It's the very URL that causes the OpenJDK
build to fail to bootstrap itself and I assume Oracle do control
dev.java.net to some degree.

--
Andrew :-)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8