JEP 244: TLS Application-Layer Protocol Negotiation Extension

Thomas Lußnig openjdk at suche.org
Mon Apr 13 17:14:06 UTC 2015

Hi,

this could be an interface for such an Callback.
It allow hello extensions as well as handshake extensions.
If it would be really clean we would have an handler for:
- NPN
- ALPN
- Channel ID
- ZertificateSignature
- OCSP-Stapling
- ServerName
- Session Ticket

The handler could be also used for handling:
- TLS_FALLBACK_SCSV

The current way is that all these extensions are in the sun Private
package space
and to make it even worse each extension is written in another way.
Also i am missing an API defined way to extend the list in
sun.security.ssl.CipherSuite.

Gruß Thomas

public interface HelloHandler {
    /**
      * Allow to add extesions to Server/Client Hello
      * based on the Client/Server hello */
    public void handleHelloMessage(ClientHello clientHello, ServerHello serverHello);
    /** Allow to add new Handshake Messages based on
      * the Client/Server Hello
      */
    public void sendHandshakeMessage(HandshakeOutStream handshakeOutStream, ClientHello clientHello, ServerHello serverHello);
    /**
      * define an order of the extensions
      */
   Class<? extends HelloHandler > runBefore();
    /**
      * define an order of the extensions
      */
   Class<? extends HelloHandler > runAfter();
}