RFR: 8255409: Support the new APIs in PKCS#11 v3.0

Weijun Wang weijun at openjdk.java.net
Sun Dec 5 05:15:11 UTC 2021

On Wed, 1 Dec 2021 21:42:51 GMT, Valerie Peng <valeriep at openjdk.org> wrote:

> PKCS#11 v3.0 adds the support for several new APIs. For this particular RFE, it enhances SunPKCS11 provider to load PKCS#11 provider by first trying the C_GetInterface (new in 3.0) before the C_GetFunctionList assuming not explicitly specified in config. In addition, PKCS#11 v3.0 defines a new API for cancelling session operations, so I've also updated various classes to call this new API if the PKCS#11 library version is 3.0. Otherwise, these classes will try to cancel by finishing off current operations as before. The support for the new C_LoginUser() has not been tested, so I commented it out for now. Given the current release schedule, support for other new PKCS#11 APIs (such as message-based ones and parameters structure) and options for C_GetInterface (if needed) will be handled later.
>
> I validated the current changes against different NSS releases (supports PKCS#11 v2.40 and v3..0 respectively) with existing regression tests.
>
> Thanks,
> Valerie

src/jdk.crypto.cryptoki/share/classes/sun/security/pkcs11/Config.java line 418:

> 416:             }
> 417:             String word = st.sval;
> 418:             switch (word) {

Since every case has a break it's probably better to use the enhanced switch (`case "x" -> ...;`). It's safer and also saves quite some lines. An IDE can help you with the conversion.

src/jdk.crypto.cryptoki/share/classes/sun/security/pkcs11/P11AEADCipher.java line 405:

> 403:     private void cancelOperation() {
> 404:         // cancel operation by finishing it; avoid killSession as some
> 405:         // hardware vendors may require re-login

The new `cancelOperation()` methods seems identical everywhere. Is it possible to consolidate it to a helper method like `trySessionCancel(token, session, flags)`? It can return true if canceled successfully, false if needs a fallback, and can still throw a `ProviderException`.