Authorization Layer post JEP 411

Peter Firmstone peter.firmstone at zeus.net.au
Thu Jun 3 21:39:44 UTC 2021

Hi Sean,

Developers are still going to need single points of control, where we
can attach our agents to Java's API's.   We can't be playing a game of
whack a mole trying to lock down the JDK.

It's fair enough that OpenJDK no longer wishes to maintain
SecurityManager, however there are those of us who have to implement
authorization layers and access controls and we don't have the luxury of
choice.

So we've established that we need to use Agents and StackWalker now to
implement our authorization layer.

It will be some years before we are able to keep up to date with Java
releases again, but now we need to focus on how to achieve that.

Regarding your questions, the performance problems, were related to
Java's FilePolicy implementation, I solved those issues by replacing it,
but you're already aware of that, I was highlighting the struggle that
developers have with Java security, but also that JAAS is a common
foundation for user authorisation, so I hope that it will be improved,
rather than removed.  I of course also use JAAS to establish TLS
connections.

If there's anything else OpenJDK is thinking about, thinking about
removing, then we need to know, so we don't use them in our new
authorization layer.

--
Regards,

Peter Firmstone