RFR: 8296546: Add @spec tags to API

Lance Andersen lancea at openjdk.org
Fri Nov 11 11:49:32 UTC 2022

On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 01:10:13 GMT, Jonathan Gibbons <jjg at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Please review a "somewhat automated" change to insert `@spec` tags into doc comments, as appropriate, to leverage the recent new javadoc feature to generate a new page listing the references to all external specifications listed in the `@spec` tags.
>
> "Somewhat automated" means that I wrote and used a temporary utility to scan doc comments looking for HTML links to selected sites, such as `ietf.org`, `unicode.org`, `w3.org`. These links may be in the main description of a doc comment, or in `@see` tags. For each link, the URL is examined, and "normalized", and inserted into the doc comment with a new `@spec` tag, giving the link and tile for the spec.
>
> "Normalized" means...
> * Use `https:` where possible (includes pretty much all cases)
> * Use a single consistent host name for all URLs coming from the same spec site (i.e. don't use different aliases for the same site)
> * Point to the root page of a multi-page spec
> * Use a consistent form of the spec, preferring HTML over plain text where both are available (this mostly applies to IETF specs)
>
> In addition, a "standard" title is determined for all specs,  determined either from the content of the (main) spec page or from site index pages.
>
> The net effect is (or should be) that **all** the changes are to just **add** new `@spec` tags, based on the links found in each doc comment. There should be no other changes to the doc comments, or to the implementation of any classes and interfaces.
>
> That being said, the utility I wrote does have additional abilities, to update the links that it finds (e.g. changing to use `https:` etc,) but those features are _not_ being used here, but could be used in followup PRs if component teams so desired. I did notice while working on this overall feature that many of our links do point to "outdated" pages, some with eye-catching notices declaring that the spec has been superseded. Determining how, when and where to update such links is beyond the scope of this PR.
>
> Going forward, it is to be hoped that component teams will maintain the underlying links, and the URLs in `@spec` tags, such that if references to external specifications are updated, this will include updating the `@spec` tags.
>
> To see the effect of all these new `@spec` tags, see http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jjg/8296546/api.00/
>
> In particular, see the new [External Specifications](http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jjg/8296546/api.00/external-specs.html) page, which you can also find via the new link near the top of the [Index](http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jjg/8296546/api.00/index-files/index-1.html) pages.

Hi Jon,

I only looked at the jar specific updates but there is some duplication leftovers.

It would probably be easier for the reviewers and for you if the PR could be broken out by areas into separate PRs

src/java.base/share/classes/java/util/jar/Attributes.java line 58:

> 56:  * order that keys were inserted into the map, as with {@link LinkedHashMap}.
> 57:  *
> 58:  * @spec jar/jar.html JAR File Specification

Line 52 should be removed

src/java.base/share/classes/java/util/jar/Attributes.java line 450:

> 448:      * <a href="{@docRoot}/../specs/jar/jar.html">JAR File Specification</a>
> 449:      * for more information about valid attribute names and values.
> 450:      * @spec jar/jar.html JAR File Specification

Line 448 should be removed

src/java.base/share/classes/java/util/jar/Manifest.java line 47:

> 45:  * Manifest format specification</a>.
> 46:  *
> 47:  * @spec jar/jar.html JAR File Specification

Line 44 should be removed

src/java.base/share/classes/java/util/jar/package-info.java line 47:

> 45:  * </ul>
> 46:  *
> 47:  * @spec jar/jar.html JAR File Specification

Line 43 should be removed

src/java.base/share/classes/java/util/zip/package-info.java line 75:

The above references should be removed as they duplicate the` @spec` tags