RFR: 8295146: Clean up native code with newer C/C++ language features [v2]

Thomas Stuefe stuefe at openjdk.org
Mon Nov 14 08:30:35 UTC 2022

On Mon, 14 Nov 2022 04:14:24 GMT, Julian Waters <jwaters at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> After [JDK-8292008](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8292008) and [JDK-8247283](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8247283), some C and C++ code across the JDK can be replaced and simplified with cleaner language features that were previously not available due to required compatibility with the now unsupported Visual C++ 2017 compiler. These cleanups were highlighted by the very briefly integrated 8296115
>>
>> No changes to the behaviour of the JDK has resulted in any way from this commit
>
> Julian Waters has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   ATTRIBUTE_SCANF

Hi Julian,

unfortunately, your patch will make backporting more difficult. We cannot downport it to older releases compiled with older compilers. But since it touches a lot of files it will sit smack in the middle of patch sequences, requiring manual merges for patches after it.

Is there any benefit to using the new syntax compared to the old one? It does seem similar verbose, so I don't see any benefit there.

Cheers, Thomas