request for review: 6436034: Instance filter doesn't filter event if it occurs in native method

Daniel D. Daugherty daniel.daugherty at oracle.com
Tue Dec 14 06:38:51 PST 2010

On 12/14/2010 3:23 AM, Alan Bateman wrote:
> Keith McGuigan wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This is the JDK-side of the fix for instance filters that uses the
>> new GetLocalInstance JVMTI function.
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kamg/6436034/webrev.00/
>>
>> Reviews appreciated, thanks!
>>
>> --
>> - Keith
> The update to jvmti.h looks good to me.
>
> It's not clear to me that eventFilter.c needs to check the jvmti
> version. As this is jdk7 then the JDWP agent will be compiled against
> the updated jvmti.h and so the version check in Agent_OnLoad
> (debugInit.c) should mean that the agent will refuse to start if
> someone were to attempt to use with an older VM.

I had completely forgotten about the version check in Agent_OnLoad.
Being able to drop an older VM into JDK7 for triage purposes is
always useful so now I'm wondering if we should add a command line
option to bypass that version check? Default behavior would be to
print the detailed error message. Optional behavior would be for
the message to be a warning and the agent to continue on.

Keith, what do you think?

Dan