RFR: 7133124 Remove redundant packages from JAR command line

Dmitry Samersoff Dmitry.Samersoff at oracle.com
Mon Jan 30 01:09:50 PST 2012

John,

Actually the goal of my letter is not to promote new integration scheme.
Just to remind that we need to put some efforts to internal process
review and optimization.

But, see answers below (inline):

Integration method I mentioned often used in open source projects,
because it doesn't require any special infrastructure for external
commiters. The only necessary thing to do safe commit is a write access
to integration (-gate) workspace.

On 2012-01-30 06:35, John Coomes wrote:
>> We have chosen a model:
>>
>> build->test->integrate
>>
>> but we may consider different approach:
>>
>> integrate->build->test->[backout if necessary]
>
> In that model, you can never rely on the repository having any degree
> of stability.  It may not even build at a given moment.

What happens today if Developer A and Developer B changes the same line
of a source?

What happens today if Developer A changes some_func() but Developer B
rely on some_func() ?

We would get a fault *after* all integration tests and SQE file one more
nightly bug. To the time someone investigate it and give the fix, bad
code will be distributed to all dev workspaces.

>>    Developer (A) integrate his changeset to an integration workspace
>>    Bot takes snapshot and start building/testing
>>    Developer (B) integrate his changeset to an integration workspace
>>    Bot takes snapshot and start building/testing
>>
>>    if Job A failed, bot lock integration ws, restore it to pre-A state,
>>    apply B-patch. unlock ws.
>
> Don't forget the trusting souls that pulled from the integration repo
> after A inflicted the breakage:  they each waste time cleaning up a
> copy of A's mess.

Nobody pulls from -gate repository today and nobody expected to do it.
-gate to ws merge continues as usual.

To remove faulty changeset we need about fifteen minutes for whole jdk
at worst.

-Dmitry