RFR: 7133124 Remove redundant packages from JAR command line

Jonathan Gibbons jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com
Mon Jan 30 10:02:40 PST 2012

On 01/30/2012 09:41 AM, Robert Ottenhag wrote:
>> >  A push to a shared repo without verifying it builds on all supported
>> >  platforms is risky behavior, and one that can
>> >  consume needless resources finding out it doesn't build, and more
>> >  importantly waste your co-worker's time undoing it.
>> >  We have the ability to prevent that, and we should.
> I totally agree. Passing suitable build and test requirements (check-in testing) is crucial (having 100+ developers waiting for a build fix is a_bad_  thing).

We need to be careful here. We have the ability to totally overload any
reasonable build system, and going through a full build and test for
what are sometimes small changes may be impractical (having 100+
developers waiting for the build queue is also a _bad_ thing.)

As Joe Darcy often points out, we need to be careful that we are not so
afraid of doing anything bad that we prevent anything good from happening.

Note, I am /not/ saying we don't need a good build and test system.  We
do.  We just need to be careful how we mandate its use.

-- Jon