Attach API on Linux and Root

Elliott Baron ebaron at redhat.com
Wed Jun 5 15:05:43 PDT 2013

Hi,

We use Hotspot's dynamic attach mechanism in our Thermostat monitoring
tool [1], however we have discovered a bit of a problem with access
control. One of our typical use-cases is to have our agent running as
root, which will monitor all JVMs on the machine. We have noticed that
our agent with root privileges cannot attach to other unprivileged users
VMs, which seems to go against the principle of the root user.

I have attached a Hotspot patch and JDK patch targeting 7u-dev to allow
root to attach to any user's VMs. I'd appreciate it if someone could
take a look.

Thanks,
Elliott

[1] http://icedtea.classpath.org/thermostat/