RFR: 8008917 CMS: Concurrent mode failure tracing event

Erik Helin erik.helin at oracle.com
Wed Mar 6 10:19:09 PST 2013

Hi Kevin,

I think that there _might_ be a bug in CMS which was present even before
you added the event tracing.

If you look in aquire_control_and_collect, you will see that
"should_compact" can be set to false by
decide_foreground_collection_type. If this is the case, then we will end
up in do_mark_sweep_work.

The problem is that you have already reported, and CMS has already
printed, that a concurrent mode failure has occurred in
acquire_control_and_collect. Then, when you enter do_mark_sweep_work,
you will once again report, and CMS will again print, that concurrent
mode failure has happened.

I am not 100% sure that I am right, by I believe that this can happen.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Erik