RFR: 8008917 CMS: Concurrent mode failure tracing event

Kevin Walls kevin.walls at oracle.com
Thu Mar 7 08:52:00 PST 2013

Hi Erik -

Yes, now you mention it I can see the route to printing the old warning
or logging the event twice...

I don't think it's reported as a problem, or maybe it's very rare and
nobody has spotted it.

But assuming it's not a "user-requested" collection, to get that false
"should_compact" in acquire_control_and_collect, we need to call
decide_foreground_collection_type(), and when it calls
incremental_collection_will_fail(), that returns false.

Possibly that is why we don't see the event reported twice in
practice***: if we've got to this point, and state>Idling, we are
usually here because that inc. collection would fail/is failing...

Thanks
Kevin

*** if anybody really does hit this, or think it's likely, we can look
again...