JEP: Allow debug tools to detect mismatch btwn sourcecode and bytecode

Staffan Larsen staffan.larsen at oracle.com
Tue Dec 2 07:29:06 UTC 2014

Hi Bruno,

This is an interesting proposal and I guess it would avoid a lot of unnecessary confusion for developers.

As I understand it, the exact algorithm used to compute the fingerprint would need to be known to debuggers, or at least an implementation of it would need to be provided by the JDK.

The proposed solution would require an addition to the class file format to store the fingerprint. Most likely in the form of a new “attribute”.

It would be interesting to hear opinions from debugger developers (netbeans, eclipse, intellij…) on this proposal.

Thanks,
/Staffan