2-nd round RFR (S) 8008678: JSR 292: constant pool reconstitution must support pseudo strings

serguei.spitsyn at oracle.com serguei.spitsyn at oracle.com
Wed Dec 17 17:26:17 UTC 2014

Please, review the second round fix for:

Open webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sspitsyn/webrevs/2014/hotspot/8008678-JVMTI-pseudo.2/

   This fix implements a footprint saving approach suggested by Coleen.
   To be able to reconstitute a class constant pool, an intermediate
pseudo-string map is used.
   Now, this field is accounted optionally, only if the 'cp_patches' is
provided in the
   ClassFileParser::parseClassFile() before ConstantPool is allocated.
   This fix is not elegant, even a little bit ugly, but it is the only
way I see so far.

   Unfortunately, this approach did not help much to make some other
fields (eg., 'operands') optional.
   The problem is that we have to account optional fields before
parsing, at the CP allocation time.
   It is possible to re-allocate the ConstantPool when any InvokeDynamic
bytecode is discovered,
   but it looks too complicated.

Testing:
   - the unit test from bug report
   - nsk.jvmti,testlist, nsk.jdi.testlist, JTREG java/lang/instrument
   - vm.mlvm.testlist, vm.quick.testlist,
vm.parallel_class_loading.testlist (in progress)

Thanks,
Serguei