RFR 8067447: Factor out the shared implementation of the VM flags manipulation code

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Wed Jan 7 01:31:26 UTC 2015

On 17/12/2014 8:19 PM, Jaroslav Bachorik wrote:
> Please, review the following change.
>
> Issue : https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8067447
> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jbachorik/8067447/webrev.00
>
> This patch is a precursor for implementing
> https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8054890 which itself is a part
> of JEP-228 (https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8043764).
>
> Here, the code related to manipulating JVM flags is extracted to a
> separate ManagedFlags class and the codebease is adjusted to use this
> class.

Not clear to me what this is addressing exactly - do we really need
platform specific variants of "set flag" ??

All the new code seems incorrect:

jint ManagedFlags::pd_set_flag(const char* flag_name, const char*
flag_value, Flag::Flags origin, outputStream* out) {
    out->print_cr("flag '%s' cannot be changed", op->arg(0));
    return JNI_ERR;
  };

op->arg(0) comes from the original code where op was an
AttachOperation*. Here is should be using flag_name.

David