RFR 8211736: jdb doesn't print prompt when breakpoint is hit and suspend policy is STOP_EVENT_THREAD

Daniil Titov daniil.x.titov at oracle.com
Mon Oct 22 21:54:01 UTC 2018

Hi Gary,

As I see currently multiple tests already use the patterns that in fact are localized messages, e.g. for 'Breakpoint hit' the following tests expect to find this message in the JDB output.

grep  -rn 'Breakpoint hit' open/test/jdk/com/sun/jdi/
open/test/jdk/com/sun/jdi//JdbMissStep.java:82:                .shouldContain("Breakpoint hit");
open/test/jdk/com/sun/jdi//JdbExprTest.java:73:                .shouldContain("Breakpoint hit");
open/test/jdk/com/sun/jdi//JdbVarargsTest.java:98:                .shouldMatch("Breakpoint hit:.*varString\\(\\)");
open/test/jdk/com/sun/jdi//lib/jdb/Jdb.java:81:    public static final String BREAKPOINT_HIT = "Breakpoint hit:";
open/test/jdk/com/sun/jdi//JdbMethodExitTest.java:204:                .shouldContain("Breakpoint hit");
open/test/jdk/com/sun/jdi//JdbMethodExitTest.java:303:                .shouldContain("Breakpoint hit");

If we really want to get rid of this (e.g. for the cases when these tests are run with non-default English locale), I would suggest to file a separate issue for that rather than addressing it in the current fix.

Best regards,
Daniil