RFR: 8255455: Refactor ThreadHeapSampler::_log_table as constexpr [v2]

Claes Redestad redestad at openjdk.java.net
Tue Oct 27 14:56:33 UTC 2020

> The static `ThreadHeapSampler::_log_table` is currently initialized on JVM bootstrap to an overhead of ~67k instructions (linux-x64). By turning the initialization into a constexpr, we can precalculate the helper table at compile time, which trades a runtime overhead for a small, 8kb, static footprint increase.
>
> I compared `fast_log2` with the `log2` builtin with a naive benchmarking experiment[1] (not included in this PR) and show that the `fast_log2` is ~2.5x faster than `log2` on my system. And that without the lookup table we'd be much worse. So I think it makes sense to preserve this optimization, but get rid of the startup overhead:
>
> [5.428s][debug][heapsampling] log2, 0.0751173 secs
> [5.457s][debug][heapsampling] fast_log2, 0.0298244 secs
> [5.622s][debug][heapsampling] fast_log2_uncached, 0.1645569 secs
>
> I've verified that this refactoring does not affect performance in this naive setup.
>
> [1] https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/compare/master...cl4es:log2_micro?expand=1

Claes Redestad has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a merge or a rebase. The incremental webrev excludes the unrelated changes brought in by the merge/rebase. The pull request contains three additional commits since the last revision:

 - Merge branch 'master' into threadHeapSampler_constexpr
 - Remove _log_table_initialized assert
 - Refactor ThreadHeapSampler::_log_table as constexpr

Changes:
  - new: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/880/files/2a66158a..f28b9cc4

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=880&range=01
 - incr: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=880&range=00-01

  Stats: 1880 lines in 75 files changed: 1373 ins; 312 del; 195 mod
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk pull/880/head:pull/880