RFR: 8200559: Java agents doing instrumentation need a means to define auxiliary classes [v2]

Alan Bateman alanb at openjdk.java.net
Mon Apr 19 09:37:38 UTC 2021

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 09:11:34 GMT, Peter Levart <plevart at openjdk.org> wrote:

> I think it would be easy to limit the use of this Instrumentation method to the agent code as agent classes are loaded by the bootstrap classloader. Simply make the method implementation caller-sensitive and check the caller is from bootstrap class loader. This way Instrumentation instance escaped to application code would not give that code any ability to define arbitrary classes.

The agent JAR file is added to application class path and is loaded using the system class loader. So almost always the defining loader will be the application class loader.

In general it's a hard problem to try to balance the integrity and security of the platform with the needs of agents that do arbitrary injection and instrumentation. Specifying an agent on the command line with -javaagent is the opt-in to trust that agent and a defineClass that allows arbitrary injection is plausible for that deployment. As Rafael's mentioned in one of the messages, there is enough power in the existing Instrumentation API to do that in a round about way already.

We don't have anything equivalent for agents that are loaded by tools into a target VM. I added the attach mechanism and the dynamic agent loading back in JDK 6 and regret not putting more restrictions around this. As it stands, it is open to mis-use in that an application or library can use the attach mechanism (directly or via the attach API in a child VM) to load an agent and leak the Instrumentation object. This is the genie that somehow needs to be put back in its bottle. One approach that I mentioned here to create is a less powerful Instrumentation object for untrusted agents. Trusted agents would continue to the full-power Instrumentation object.  A less powerful Instrumentation object would not be able to redefine java.base or other core modules and would not be able to retransform classes in those modules. The option on the table during JDK 9 was to disable dynamic loading of agents by default but that was kicked down the road. I don't particularly like that option and I th
 ink we can do better.