RFR: 8271356: Modify jdb to treat an empty command as a repeat of the previous command [v5]

Jakob Cornell github.com+5642931+jakobcornell at openjdk.java.net
Thu Sep 23 15:24:47 UTC 2021

> This has been under discussion on and off for the past month or so on serviceability-dev, and I think a CSR request is required, so this may be a work in progress.
>
> Notes on the patch:
>
> - The `list` command previously marked a line in each listing with `=>`.  In a bare `list` this is the next line up for execution.  Previously when requesting a specific location (e.g. `list 5`) the requested line would be marked.  With the patch applied, `list` will only ever mark the next line up for execution.  This is consistent with the behavior of GDB and PDB (at least).
> - `EOF` is printed when the repeat setting is on and a bare `list` command follows a listing containing the last source line.  This feature is from PDB; it's a somewhat softer message than the one for an explicit `list` request that's out of range.
> - I don't speak Chinese or Japanese, so I've omitted localizations for the new messages in those locales.  However, I updated the help text in both to include the new commands, with the descriptions left empty for now.

Jakob Cornell has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:

  8271356: Invoke auto-advance on empty input after targeted list command

Changes:
  - new: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/5290/files/77a255d1..7c7764a5

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=5290&range=04