RFR: 8286844: com/sun/jdi/RedefineCrossEvent.java failed with 1 threads completed while VM suspended

Chris Plummer cjplummer at openjdk.org
Wed Jul 20 21:05:52 UTC 2022

On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 23:13:14 GMT, Alex Menkov <amenkov at openjdk.org> wrote:

> The test verifies that JDI threads are daemon threads.
> But enumerating threads at breakpoint it performs sanity check that all threads returned by ThreadGroup.enumerate hasn't terminated.
> But this is wrong assumption,  as the test enumerates _debugger_ threads and not _debuggee_ threads.
>
> The fix drops this sanity check.

Marked as reviewed by cjplummer (Reviewer).

I think the `finishedThreads` check was actually to verify that no JDI threads completed while the debuggee was suspend. But that was back in the old days when hotpot and JDK didn't spontaneously create and delete various threads quite so readily. So removing this check seems necessary, and I can think of a reasonable way to check the status of the JDI threads (nor see a reason to).