RFR: 8283092: JMX subclass permission check redundant with strong encapsulation

Daniel Fuchs dfuchs at openjdk.java.net
Wed Mar 16 15:18:51 UTC 2022

On Tue, 15 Mar 2022 20:22:16 GMT, Kevin Walls <kevinw at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Removing permission checks which, in the presence of a Security Manager, would check for a RuntimePermission "className.subclass".  This was to prevent subclassing these classes, but is no longer necessary with strong encapsulation from modules.

Marked as reviewed by dfuchs (Reviewer).

src/java.management/share/classes/sun/management/spi/PlatformMBeanProvider.java line 233:

> 231:         }
> 232:         return null;
> 233:     }

I have verified in module-info.java that sun.management.spi is only conditionally exported so I agree that the explicit permission check can now be removed.

src/jdk.management.agent/share/classes/jdk/internal/agent/spi/AgentProvider.java line 35:

This class should probably be removed altogether. I see that you logged [JDK-8283254](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8283254) so this is fine.