RFR: Early update references phase

Roman Kennke rkennke at redhat.com
Tue Mar 28 15:04:21 UTC 2017

I should probably add that the main motivation for this is partial-GC:
when we want to combine partial (minor) GCs with concurrent
(intermediate) GCs, we need to fix all refs after concurrent GCs to
avoid throwing off the matrix and partial GC (which can't currently deal
with forwarded objects, and I can't see an easy way to do that). Notice
that the matrix part isn't done yet... the update-refs phase could and
should completely rebuild the matrix, and we wouldn't have to build the
matrix during marking+evac.

Roman