RFR: Initial mailing list mapping rules for the jdk repository

Robin Westberg rwestberg at openjdk.java.net
Wed Aug 26 12:00:04 UTC 2020

On Tue, 25 Aug 2020 17:42:22 GMT, Kevin Rushforth <kcr at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> I can't comment on the details of the rules, but looks good to me in general ��
>
> What rules will be used for new files that don't match any of the existing patterns? For example, if a new package is
> added to `java.desktop`, where will the RFR go?
> Does the logic support adding a later more general pattern that will only be used if an earlier more specific pattern
> isn't matched? In that case, it would be possible to add a `src/java.desktop` (for example) that is sent to one of the
> client aliases (whichever Phil thinks is the best default) as a "catch all" for anything that is missed by the specific
> set of patterns.

The rules should ideally be written in a form that will match unknown files, for example like this `java.desktop` one
for `awt-dev`:

"src/java.desktop/share/classes/sun/awt/(?!font|sunhints|color/|font/|geom/|im/|image/|print/)",

It's written to be complementary to other rules (in `2d-dev` and `i18n-dev` in this case) so that it matches
anything *not* followed by these specific folder names.

In the case that nothing matches, it will currently log an error that the Skara admins can investigate and hopefully
improve the list. But in the future it is probably a good idea to add a specific category of rules that are used if
none of these specific ones matches. But I'm hoping the first approach will help improve the quality of the primary
filters to begin with.