Request for assistance: Verify and update mailing list filter rules for jdk/jdk in preparation for Skara transition

Erik Helin erik.helin at oracle.com
Mon Aug 31 14:16:59 UTC 2020

On 8/29/20 6:34 PM, Philip Race wrote:
> I have some questions which at least tangentially relate to the list
> mappings which raise
> what to me are tricky problems but maybe they've already been thought
> through and solved.
>
> First, what is the minimum number of reviewers required a fix for the
> JDK project ?

It is 1 Reviewer as configured by .jcheck/conf.

> Second, how can we have that by default adjusted depending on mailing
> list, with the
> ability to either raise or lower that number according to the judgement
> of the fixer.
> In the client area 2 reviewers is the big rule, only one has to be a
> Capital R reviewer,
> but for trivial and urgent fixes we allow just one reviewer.

Ok, so we have to separate between culture and rules. The .jcheck/conf
file configures the rules, and the rule is 1 Reviewer.

For several directories in the jdk repository various norms have formed
with regards to the requirements that needs to be met before one can
push. For example for the src/hotspot directory you need 1 Reviewer and
1 Author (or above) to review and you should wait 24 hours before
pushing. For the client directories you state that 2 Reviewers are
needed (I wasn't aware, I have never contributed to the client code).
For the make directory you really ought to get a review from either Erik
J or Magnus. These norms are not mechanically enforced (not today by
jcheck, nor tomorrow by Skara), instead they are enforced through
Reviewers educating contributors about the cultural norms.

> Third, if a fix is cross-posted to (say) build-dev and 2d-dev, how do
> you ensure it
> gets both a build reviewer and a 2D reviewer's approval before pushing ?
> That
> is after all the point of the cross-posting.

The norm that a change to the Makefiles must be reviewed by a senior
build engineer (in most cases Erik J or Magnus) is not mechanically
enforced, as I explained above. The point of cross-posting to build-dev
is to allow an experienced build engineer to get the chance to look at
the patch, otherwise the build engineers would have follow all mailing
lists.

I agree with Kevin that trying to capture all these cultural norms
automatically is going to be very tricky (if not impossible). Perhaps
the developers guide could be a good place to store this information?

Remember that today with Mercurial we don't really enforce anything, as
you can put any Reviewers OpenJDK username on the "Reviewed-by" line and
then push. A Committer doing this would probably find themselves losing
their Committer status very quickly though...

Thanks,
Erik