Errors when running jcheck locally

Thomas Stüfe thomas.stuefe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 09:45:13 UTC 2020

Hi Erik,

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 5:54 PM Erik Helin <erik.helin at oracle.com> wrote:

> On 9/22/20 12:55 PM, Volker Simonis wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > sorry if this has been documented or answered already somewhere but I
> > couldn't find any information in the WIki or the mailing list.
> >
> > I think I have a valid setup and configured everything properly, but
> > when I run "git jcheck" locally on my clone of a
> > https://github.com/openjdk/jdk fork, I get the following errors:
> >
> > $ git status
> > On branch JDK-8253435-cpusets-fix
> > $ git log
> > commit 568c48964a156f5ca71319f0585f2d5c84899c62 (HEAD ->
> > JDK-8253435-cpusets-fix)
> > Author: Volker Simonis <volker.simonis at gmail.com>
> > Date:   Mon Sep 21 18:58:58 2020 +0200
> >
> >      8253435: Cgroup: 'stomping of _mount_path' crash if manually
> > mounted cpusets exist
> > $ git jcheck
> > [branches] error: illegal branch name: JDK-8253435-cpusets-fix
> > [branches] error: illegal branch name: zip_entry_fix
> > [committer] error: 568c4896: missing committer email from domain
> openjdk.org
> > [committer] error: 568c4896: Volker Simonis is not committer in project
> jdk
> > [reviewers] error: 568c4896: 1 reviewer required, found 0
> >
> > The last error is valid because I have not entered any reviewers yet,
> > but what about the other errors?
>
> The branches error is because you have branches locally :) The upstream
> jdk repository does not allow any additional branches and jcheck can't
> know that it is being run in a contributor's local repository.
>
> The committer error is because the values for `user.name` and
> `user.email` in your local git configuration isn't following the JEP 357
> conventions.

I have some more questions, if I may:

So I have a census name ("stuefe"), a github name ("tstuefe"), and a full
name ("Thomas Stuefe"). You have two :)

Following the steps in
https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/SKARA#Skara-AssociatingyourGitHubaccountandyourOpenJDKusername
associates the github name with my census name at Oracle, right?

The skara wiki at
https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/SKARA#Skara-InitialConfiguration
further states I should use the full name as a global user.name setting in
git:

$ git config --global user.name 'Your Full Name'

Does "Full Name" have to match the census full name? (e.g. in your case,
"Helin", in my case "Stuefe", not "Stüfe")?

Why can I not use the github name as user.name? Since some commits at
https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/commits/master appear to use the github
name, some the full name, the former being linked to the profile, the
latter not. Since I usually do not use the full name in my commits,
requiring this for OpenJDK would mean I have to overwrite it on a
per-repository base.

Thank you, and sorry for all the questions!

... Thomas