Commit message whitespace issue

Robin Westberg robin.westberg at oracle.com
Thu Sep 24 11:12:38 UTC 2020

Hi Thomas,

> On 24 Sep 2020, at 12:41, Thomas Stüfe <thomas.stuefe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> sorry to be a bother, but I try to understand the jcheck bot error on the
> following PR:

No worries!

> https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/332
>
> "The commit message contains a tab on line 2"
>
> The PR contains a single commit which I created using
>
> git commit -m 'JDK-8253572'
>
> Since the commit message only consists of one word, where does the tab come
> into play? What should I do to fix or avoid this problem?

This error certainly looks a bit confusing. The root of the error is that https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8249943 <https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8249943> contains a tab at the end of the tile, which has then been propagated to the commit message that will be used for the final commit. Normally you’d see what this commit message looks like, but it won’t be shown until the check passes..

We should ensure that the the check filters tab characters from issue titles I think, I’ll file a bug for this.

Meanwhile, I edited the propagated title in your PR to unblock it, hope you don’t mind.

Best regards,
Robin