RFR: 1076: Not possible to use 'Backport <sha>' if original bug doesn't have public sha [v3]

Kevin Rushforth kcr at openjdk.java.net
Sat Jun 12 14:46:52 UTC 2021

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 19:59:48 GMT, Erik Joelsson <erikj at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> This patch adds a new way of declaring a pull requests to be a backport for situations where the original hash of the original change is not known or available. Technically such a PR should already work without the backport label, but it will display a warning about the issue not being open. By being able to declare a backport, that warning will be eliminated, which should make the user experience smoother and hopefully help avoid mistakes.
>>
>> To use the new feature, you create a PR with a title "Backport <issueid>" instead of "Backport <hash>". Once this goes live, I will update the Skara wiki documentation.
>
> Erik Joelsson has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   Review comments

I just thought of one more thing you might need to handle. In the JBS issue, you mentioned two things that the "backport" label is used for:

1. Whether to print the warning about the issue not being open.
2. Whether to allow the /clean command to be run to mark a backport "clean".

For the case of no public SHA hash, Skara should not allow a Committer to declare it as clean. There isn't any way for anyone -- including the contributor -- to know whether or not it is clean. For the case being covered by this fix, there isn't a public patch to look at in the first place.