<Sound Dev> gstreame - Sound output?

Mario Torre neugens at limasoftware.net
Sun Oct 18 03:26:45 PDT 2009

Il 18/10/2009 05:16, David Welch ha scritto:
> I've loaded gstreamer to expand the number of sound formats my software will handle. Does it also assist sound output? It supports 24-bit stereo FLAC, and I can hear the difference! Is anybody working to bring this functionality to the JDK?
>
> Warm regards,
> Dave (An old retired Computer Geek.)
>
> P.S.
> I am running OpenSolaris 2009.06 with two "entire" updates.

Hi!

I once wrote a GStreamer java sound backend. It's not in perfect shape
and lots of things are needed, but the code is public, you can find it
in the GNU Classpath repository, you could use it as a basis, or as is
depending on your needs. Porting it to OpenJDK should be a matter of
adding some build machinery, because the code doesn't really depend on
any internal Classpath code, if you find any of such dependencies, is
probably one or two lines of code that can be easily replaced (in fact,
as we use a Pointer abstraction in Classpath to store native pointers
you may need to replace this code, but it's not much work).

In general, it's not very easy to do a Java Sound backend with
GStreamer, because GStreamer is quite high level API and doesn't really
support well the way Java Sound work internally, but was enough to
stream from the network all the funny format supported by GStreamer (it
auto detects those, so no need to do anything). I didn't implement
support for MIDI and if you plan to use it for real time audio editing
you will be out of luck.

It was a fun project, I would really liked to revive it if I had some time.

Cheers,
Mario
--
pgp key: http://subkeys.pgp.net/