<Sound Dev> [9] Review Request: 8135100 Behavior of null arguments not specified in javax.sound.sampled.spi

Sergey Bylokhov Sergey.Bylokhov at oracle.com
Mon Oct 26 15:00:56 UTC 2015

> I guess you're right and the second loop will never be executed if we
> will always have the default mixer providers.

ok, we agreed that the second loop isn't necessary

> Removing the NPE catch clause, however, will still cause a backwards
> incompatibility, because if a poorly programmed MixerProvider gets
> installed which throws NPE for whatever reason (might also happen when
> "info" is non-null), now AudioSystem.getMixer() will throw NPE, where
> it previously worked.

But if we discuss in this way we can get an assumption that any methods
of plugins can throw any type of exceptions and we should wrap them in
"catch (Throwable)". I agree that we should follow the backwards
compatibility as much as possible, but this case is related to "bug to
bug" compatibility. For sure if we fix a bug in jdk and if some code
relies on this behavior he will get an issue. But i think strategy of
"fail-fast" is better, than silently ignoring the problem since a
workaround should be simple as mixer removing, which is not used anyway.

Note that in case of jdk9 an additional check of application's sound
code will be needed, because the order of serviceloaders will be
different, modules which contain providers come to play, etc. So I guess
this is a good time to cleanup of our code from some workarounds which
were added in jdk 1.1.*.

--
Best regards, Sergey.