<Sound Dev> [10] Review Request: 8178403 DirectAudio in JavaSound may hang and leak

Sergey Bylokhov sergey.bylokhov at oracle.com
Wed Jul 5 14:56:42 UTC 2017

Hello,
Please review the fix for jdk10.

Webrev can be found at: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~serb/8178403/webrev.00

This fix is updated version of JDK-8168751[1].

The problem is in this lines of code
1349             while (thread == curThread) {
1350                 // doIO is volatile, but we could check it, then get
1351                 // pre-empted while another thread changes doIO and notifies,
1352                 // before we wait (so we sleep in wait forever).
1353                 synchronized(lock) {
1354                     if (!doIO) {
1355                         try {
1356                             lock.wait();

"thread == curThread" is executed outside the synchronized block, so it is possible that this condition will be changed after if() but before "lock.wait();", so the code will waits forever because nobody will call lock.notifyAll().

Also the fix calls the "lock.wait();" in the loop, so we will have two symmetric loops one to wait() and one to play().

The test is updated to reproduce the bug more often.