<Swing Dev> [9] Review request for 8132119 Provide public API for text related methods in SwingUtilities2

Sergey Bylokhov Sergey.Bylokhov at oracle.com
Thu Apr 7 10:09:13 UTC 2016

On 06.04.16 23:23, Alexander Scherbatiy wrote:
> Could you review the updated fix:
>    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~alexsch/8132119/webrev.09

There is tiny typos
TextUIDrawing.getClippedString():
     "@param c the component"
     I guess it should be:
     "@param c the component, may be null"
BasicTextUIDrawing:
     There is no dots at the end of the description of the class.

I am not sure but will javadoc automatically copy the @throws tag from
the parent tag? For example @throws NullPointerException to
BasicTextUIDrawing.drawString().

>> But I can imagine they may also be handy when someone would typically
>> want to implement
>> only one or two out of a larger number in an interface and the default
>> and you for some
>> reason don't want to do that with an abstract class (notably you want
>> an other class to
>> be able to implement the interface).
>>
>> So what do I think about the case where the interface is brand new and
>> what you've done is more or less implement a concrete class, but it's
>> one that
>> can be mixed in to another class ? Is that an appropriate use ?
>>
>> Maybe the test to pass in that case is whether the default implementation
>> is going to be satisfactory for 90% of uses. If they are frequently
>> over-ridden
>> it would not be an appropriate use.
>    Using this argument it seems if someone wants to implement the
> TextUIDrawing it needs to override all its methods to keep them in sync.
> Because of this I moved the TextUIDrawing implementation to the separate
> javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTextUIDrawing class.

I am fine, just one note. Now we have the interface, and the class
without any state, and
  - If the users need to implement the only one method, then it will be
necessary to subclass a BasicTextUIDrawing, which will limit the
possible class hierarchy.
  - If the user most of the time will need to implement all methods to
make them in sync he also can override BasicTextUIDrawing, then why we
need the interface?

--
Best regards, Sergey.