<Swing Dev> [11] Review Request: 6684386 ElementIterator javadoc bug

Semyon Sadetsky semyon.sadetsky at oracle.com
Tue Dec 19 16:22:38 UTC 2017

On 12/18/2017 08:20 PM, Sergey Bylokhov wrote:

> Hi, Semyon.
> On 18/12/2017 17:52, Semyon Sadetsky wrote:
>> Please, surround with <blockquote> the code sample.
>
> Why <blockquote> should be used since an example is not a "quote" but
> contains code? I guess <pre>{@code} should be enough.
This is just a good practice to separate a code snippet from the rest of
text in javadoc.

>> All references like
>>
>> * ...if {@code next()} is called before...
>>
>> better to replace with
>>
>> * ...if {@link #next()} is called before...
>
> It always confused me when to use @link instead of @code. Currently I
> use @code everywhere except the place where I write something like
> "Please see {@link java.beans.XMLEncoder}."
> or something like
> "Refer to {@link #setValueContainsLiteralCharacters} for details"
>
> In other words @link is necessary when the description of referred
> object has some additional information. Otherwise we had to use @link
> instead of @code everywhere.
I suggest to take care about readers. In this specific case it is hard
to realize a phrase like

..if next() is called before first() or current() the root will be
returned..

in the class specification without knowledge what are those next(),
first() and current().