<Swing Dev> RFR: 8058704: Nimbus does not honor JTextPane background color [v2]

Sergey Bylokhov serb at openjdk.java.net
Tue Aug 3 06:06:36 UTC 2021

On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 05:44:53 GMT, Prasanta Sadhukhan <psadhukhan at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> src/java.desktop/share/classes/javax/swing/plaf/nimbus/skin.laf line 25750:
>>
>>> (failed to retrieve contents of file, check the PR for context)
>> What is the difference between background and shape tags?
>
> I have looked at https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/lookandfeel/_nimbusDefaults.html where default color for
> EditorPane.background and TextPane.background is NimbusBlueGrey and not White what we have now, so I think we are having what is being specified in nimbus-default.
> SwingSet2 background color for the demos are same before and after the fix.
> I am not sure about the difference between background and shape but I have ran full JCK/JTREG tests and all are fine. I also tried passing Nimbus L&F via CI script for JCK/jtreg tests and those are also same before and after fix.

In the linke above the
nimbusBlueGrey 	#a9b0be (169,176,190)
While the "EditorPane.background and TextPane.background" are:
TextPane.background 	#d6d9df (214,217,223)
EditorPane.background 	#d6d9df (214,217,223)

It is still unclear why setting these values in the XML file prevents the user to change it later, also it will be good to understand the purpose of "shape" since it also sets some coordinates values.