VarHandle prototype pushed

Paul Sandoz Paul.Sandoz at oracle.com
Thu Aug 7 08:31:49 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have just pushed the VarHandle prototype. More details can be found here:

  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/varhandles/VarHandle-0.1.md
  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/varhandles/jvmls14-varHandles.pdf

Hopefully it won't cause too much disturbance in the "force", but if anyone pulled in-between my pushes to jdk, langtools and hotspot then one will need pull again so everything is in sync. Also, it is unlikely to step on the value type/specialization area as the changes to langtools/hotspot are focused on areas particular to polymorphic signature methods.

This prototype is sufficient to play around with the API, validate performance and find issues, but it's still very much work in progress.

I have yet to push a patch to update certain j.u.c classes to replace Unsafe with VarHandle [1]. I am pondering whether to have separate renamed classes, which is nice for a side-to-side comparison in the same code base, but would force test code (e.g. 166 loops tests) to be updated.

Paul.

[1] http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/varhandles/jdk-varhandle-juc.patch/webrev/