Implementing VarHandle

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 08:41:06 UTC 2015

On 04/19/2015 02:06 PM, Brian Goetz wrote:
> Thanks Remi.
>
> I’d like to separate this discussion into two components: implementation and API.  Let’s talk about API first.  We did give a fair amount of thought to the sigpoly-vs-typesafe API question.
>
> VarHandles allow you to abstract data access over several dimensions:
>   - location kind: static field, instance field, array element, native pointer, etc
>   - variable type: int, long, Object, etc
>   - access kind: relaxed, ordered, volatile, etc
>
> Both your approach and ours follow the same route for access kind: separate methods for each kind of access.
>
> Your approach unrolls the variable type dimension as well; this is a tradeoff of client-side type-safety for API surface area.  There’s a valid discussion to be had here about the pros and cons of each.
>
> Where the biggest difference is in location kind.  Your approach is built around “instance field” as being the preferred location kind, and levering the rest into that shape (i.e., use null as receiver for static fields.)  This is obviously great for instance fields, acceptable for static fields, bad for array elements, and probably not so good for native access.  To really get type safety, we’d probably have to add new interfaces for {Static,Instance,Array,Native}VarHandle, further increasing the surface area of the API.  Also, this is very different from the approach taken by MH, where there is a single polymorphic invoke method, rather than n*m*k methods for different combinations of (kind, type, access).
>
> The thing that pushed us over the edge is that value types are coming.  With value types, one can create type-safe, zero-cost, specialized wrappers for {Static,Instance,Array,Native}VarHandle<T> that wrap an underlying VH; because these wrappers can be values, they can provide type safety with no indirection or footprint costs.  So it seemed better to provide a simple, clean, low-level API now that doesn’t make any assumptions, let the early adopters (mostly us) deal with the fact that type safety comes at runtime (just as with MHs), and later provide a clean set of value wrappers on top of it.

This seems like a good plan for post-JDK9 times. But I still miss one
thing in this picture - the syntax. If purely API approach is taken,
then we will still be using Strings to identify fields and do the
caching of VarHandles ourselves. Are there any plans for specifying
syntax for constant [Method|Var] handles in Java or is this being
reserved for post-JDK9 times where the syntax will be used to produce
type-safe wrappers (similar to approach taken with MethodHandles vs.
Lambdas)?

Regards, Peter